This is something we get asked quite a lot. Someone has an old clock that is beyond economical repair and holds no sentimental value – what can they do with it? Naturally – what we really want you to do is sent it to me and have it converted to battery to give it another chapter telling the time for decades to come. If that’s not an option – let’s get creative.
Creative Ideas for Vintage Wall and Mantel Clocks
Vintage wall clocks and mantel clocks hold a timeless charm that adds character to any space. However, when these cherished timepieces break down, it can be tempting to discard them. Instead of letting them gather dust or end up in the landfill, consider repurposing them into something new and exciting. Here are some creative ideas to breathe new life into your old broken clocks
- Decorative Wall Art: Remove the clock mechanism and hands, and use the face of the clock as a unique piece of wall art. Hang it as-is or incorporate it into a gallery wall for a vintage touch.
- Shadow Box Display: Transform your broken clock into a shadow box display by removing the clock face and replacing it with glass or clear plastic. Fill the space with meaningful trinkets, small plants, or other decorative items.
- Functional Shelves: Turn your clock into a functional shelf by removing the clock mechanism and adding a flat surface on top. Use it to display small plants, figurines, or as a spot to store keys and other essentials.
- Jewellery Organizer: Utilize the clock’s frame and hands to create a stylish jewellery organizer. Attach hooks to hang necklaces and bracelets, while the clock face can serve as a backdrop for earrings or pins.
- Photo Frame: Remove the clock mechanism and replace the face with a favourite photograph or artwork. This unique photo frame will become a conversation piece in your home.
- Repurpose as a Tray: Remove the clock face and add handles to the sides to create a decorative tray. Use it to serve drinks or appetizers at your next gathering, or simply as a stylish way to corral items on a tabletop.
- Repair and Restore: If you’re sentimentally attached to your clock, consider having it repaired and restored by a professional clockmaker. With a little love and attention, your vintage timepiece can regain its former glory and continue to be a cherished heirloom for years to come.
Whether you choose to repurpose your old broken clock into a decorative piece or opt for repair and restoration, there are plenty of creative options to explore. Embrace the opportunity to breathe new life into these timeless treasures and give them a second chance to shine in your home.
There some nice ideas on Pinterest from Seneida De La Cruz:
More ideas here on Pinterest : https://www.pinterest.co.uk/seneidap/repurposing-clock-cases/